XPRESS YOURSELF - would you trade a united states' visa (lottery) for N2.5M (16,500 USD)?


I won’t trade it if there is a good job waiting for me over there. 2.5 million naira is too small for me to start my own business in Nigeria. It’s barely enough to acquire a suitable location for my business. Perhaps, with 10 million naira, I can begin to consider staying in Nigeria.
- Tosin Fagade

Going to the United States does not necessarily signify success. I can still be successful in Nigeria. I want to be in my fatherland, Nigeria because I believe I have a purpose to fulfill; that’s why God created me here.
- Tosin Babarinde

I can’t because it’s too small. Business in Nigeria is not that easy; when you invest, you still need some money to cater for your personal needs before you start reaping the benefits. So 2.5 million naira can’t be enough for me. Maybe I will consider 5 million naira.
- James Uwelle

I will trade it because, I’m not bent on travelling to the U.S. if I invest the money, it can yield more than I can ever earn abroad. There are opportunities in Nigeria which I have personally located. I want to go there already established.
- Sola Aremu

I will trade it and apply afresh for a new visa. By the time I spend 1 million naira, I would get a new one. After all, if I didn’t trade it, I’ll still have to spend money for the processing before finally travelling.
- Kolade Akinyede

I can’t leave Nigeria now; I know there is hope. So I’ll sell it. I can even sell it for a pittance. I want to go to the U.S already established. So that when I go to the embassy, they’ll gladly give me a visa. With 2.5million naira, I’m certain to succeed.
- Dipo Adelakun



 Culled from XPRESSIONZ magazine maiden edition (June 2006)

3 comments:

  1. I believe in a new NIgeria where there are numerous doors of opportunities opened to those who can see with the eyes of their mind.What is the essence of going to the US if u don't have a sense of purpose of going there in the first place? It is not USA that made her citizens great,it is the citizen that made USA what she is today. With N2.5M,I'm sure to start and build my business and set it on a right direction.I have plans to visit US just on vacation with my family and possibly for higher degrees and I can easily get my visa then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a good point that Nigeria has hope. But you may want to consider the comments made by James Uwelle and Tosin Fagade above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a Bad idea! i will definitely stay back in Nigeria. Lots of stuff to do with my 16,000 USD.

    ReplyDelete